The Elsternwick village was proposed in 1851.
Elsternwick village was surveyed in 1856, and Elsternwick Post Office opened on 22 June 1860.
In 1861 a railway line, operated by the Melbourne and Hobson’s Bay United Railway Company, was built from Melbourne to Brighton, via Elsternwick.
In the 1880s, the Elsternwick railway station was also the Melbourne end of the railway line to the large scale sugar beet processing mill at Rosstown (see Rosstown Railway) — now known as Carnegie — and beyond. This railway was seldom used and it ceased to function in 1916.
The first site of Caulfield Grammar School, founded in 1881, was adjacent to the Elsternwick railway station. A tramline was opened along Glen Huntly Road in 1889.
Elsternwick train station is on the Sandringham metropolitan train line Glen Huntly Road, and the tramline between Elsternwick and Point Ormond opened in 1915; it closed on 22 October 1960.
Elsternwick was originally situated across three municipalities – Caulfield, Brighton and St Kilda. At the end of the 1880s unsuccessful attempts were made for Elsternwick to become administratively independent. Today it is in the Local Government Area of the City of Glen Eira. The postcode is 3185.
Open for Inspection:
Sun 2 Jul: 2:30pm - 3:00pm
Sat 1 Jul: 2:00pm
Sat 1 Jul: 12:00pm
Sat 15 Jul: 1:00pm
Sat 22 Jul: 1:30pm
Sat 1 Jul: 11:00am
Sat 15 Jul: 12:00pm